Tuesday, December 28, 2010

A Review of "LO"

Confessions of a Film Junkie: A Review of “Lo”
By: Brian Cotnoir
                What else can I say about the film “Lo” other than, what the fuck?  “Lo” is a horror spoof that tells the story of Justin, a young man who recently lost his girlfriend, April, to a demon.  In order to get April back he summons a demon, named Lo, to bring her back.  Upon Lo’s arrival in Justin’s apartment he begins to explain that there was a reason why she was taken to hell and Justin finds out about April’s past from Lo and other demons.                                                                                                                                                       
 This film is a horror spoof but unlike other great horror spoofs, such as “Shaun of the Dead”, “Zombieland”, and “Feast”, “Lo” isnt all that funny.  Don’t get me wrong; the film does have its comedic moments, but the jokes throughout the film are hit or miss.  I honestly think that this story came to be one night when the films writer and director, Travis Betz, got really trashed while watching “Evil Dead” and that he said to himself “I’m going to make ‘Evil Dead’ into a show for the stage and I’m going to make it comedy”.  Fear not horror movie fans, “Lo” is not a knock-off of the “Evil Dead” films, but there are some obvious references to the “Evil Dead” films in “Lo”.                                                                                          
  “Lo” also has a lot of moments in the film that’ll make you say “What the fuck was the point of that?”.  My final conclusion the film is this; I don’t think “Lo” was a terrible film, but I certainly believe that it could’ve been better.  It has some really funny lines, but unfortunately not enough to make this film a great horror spoof.  I did not like the ending of the film, and I think there should’ve been a re-write for the final scene.  Finally, I really enjoyed the character “Jeez” in this film; actor Devin Barry did a great job with his character and made his character both interesting and enjoyable.


No comments:

Post a Comment